Friday, January 30, 2009

Prayers please...

Ok, we were waiting to announce the news until we got to have the first ultrasound with a heartbeat. Well, unfortunately, that may not happen. Instead I am asking for prayers and lots of them. Clint and I tried to get preggo off and on for 2 years and eventually had to get fertility help. So imagine our surprise when we got preggo this time after trying just 3 cycles. However....

I was in the ER all day today. I am supposed to be 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I started getting horrible cramps on my right side yesterday and it has progressively gotten worse. After no sleep I decided to go to the ER this morning.
They drew several vials of blood and urine sample. No bladder infection. Great, but I was not prepared for what followed. No one gave me the result of the lab, but I was sent upstairs for an ultrasound. The tech did her measurements and I asked if she saw the pregnancy. She said no, but she wasn't surprised with how low my numbers were. I had no idea my numbers were low. She said they were just over 300.
According to charts, at 24 days past ovulation (which I am), I should be over 540 and even averaging at 1000 right now. But I'm not. I'm just over 300. After several hours the doc comes in and says that they saw two "cyst" type things in my uterus. The doc said that it looks like it could be a molar pregnancy. I didn't think to question it because I was in shock. She said she couldn't see a gestational sac, just the cyst things. Ok. She said my numbers were really low and were what someone only a week to 2 weeks after conception should be, not someone that is 3 weeks after. She said I could also be experiencing an ectopic pregancy and that it's just too small to see on u/s.
She said to come back in Mon. for another blood draw and then had me set up an appt. for 11 am Mon. with the OB.
So I come home after 7 hours in the ER and lay down. Then the phone rings and it's a different doc from the ER. He's the one that actually put the order in for the u/s. Well he was calling to see if I had set up my appt. with the OB and asked what the other doc told me in the ER. Uh...wouldn't he know that??? So I told him about the cyst things and the numbers, etc. He then said that it is extremely unlikely that it is a molar pregnancy because usually HCG levels would be extremely high, not low. I asked about the cysts, and he said at 5 weeks you wouldn't really be able to see anything on u/s and that I would need to have numbers closer to 1000 to get an image. He said that the 2 "cysts" could very well be...TWINS!!!! UM, what the heck people, really??? I asked why the low numbers if it were to be twins, he said that's what concerns him. Arggg. He said HCG levels are meaningless unless there is something to compare it to. I would need another set drawn to see if the numbers double, or if they go down. I explained that I had my first + home pregnancy test last Mon. He said that worries him more, that I would get an HPT that soon and still have numbers this low. I asked about the likelihood of an ectopic. He said that would be more likely due to my number being that low in addition to the right sided cramping. But he said there was nothing visible in the tubes so we have to wait and see what happens.
So the waiting game is on, I go back Mon. to see if I am miscarrying or to see if the numbers have doubled like they should have.
Any prayers you can offer would be great.

No comments: