Thursday, October 9, 2008

The potty training chronicles...

OK, this is it. Potty training has OFFICIALLY begun. We have been "playing" with the potty idea, and have had hits and misses (mostly miss). But Tanja left yesterday, and we are officially "housebound" well, the kids are anyway.
So far...AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! Ok well, it's just a lot more stress than I bargained for :) We are moving forward with the plan anyway ;) Even if I just end up working with one at a time.
The beginning of this process is crazy. If I had a singleton it wouldn't be so bad. But I don't, I have 2, making work twice as hard, if not more. Why is it that when you have one on the potty, the other one decides they will go potty, and not in the toilet?
This morning started off with Clint taking Kd to the potty right before work. He didn't go. Duh. So after about 20 min. I decide to take him to the toilet. Ummmm, nothing. Ky wakes up and I bring her to the potty, again, nothing.
So naked bottom they went. Within 5 min, Ky peed all over the floor. Great.
I fed them breakfast, and then within a few min. Kd sarts grunting. So I take him to the potty. He SCREAMED like he was dieing. I figured, what the heck. Forget it. Then decided to work with Ky. She sat on the toilet for a couple of min. Then decided she was done. I took her back to the play area, and she pees in the corner. Wonderful. I look over and Kd had peed all over the floor and couch. Uggghh. This is going to be one VERY messy process.
So I decided, maybe nakey bottom is a bit much. I put underwear with washcloths in them on Ky and left Kd in his diaper. It was only a matter of time for him to poop anyway. I look over and Ky has peed in the underwear. YIPPY!
So I went on the big potty to show them how to potty. They thought it was hilarious. I put Ky on the potty with chocolate chips and M&Ms to keep her motivated to stay there. She hadn't pooped yet.
Kd started grunting so I took off his diaper and put him on the potty. He didn't want the chocolate. I couldn't leave to find more bribary, since Ky was still on the toilet.
Kd on the other hand started screaming and freaking out like he was terrified. I looked over and poop was coming out his bum. I knew it didn't hurt, the poop wasn't hard. He was terrified to go without a diaper. Well, his butt is going to be in underwear when not sleeping now. I do not want him being terrified to go without a diaper on. I want him potty trained, not diaper trained.
After reassuring him that it was ok to poop, and showing him where the poop goes, he finally calmed down. But that was after the enitire bathroom floor was covered in poop smears. OY!
Ky never did go in the potty. I took her and Kd out of the bathroom. Ky went to a different corner and peed on the floor. Uggghh. Well, at least she isn't afraid to go without a diaper. She thinks it's funny. She was pointing at it like "look Mom...I peed!!!"
And that is just 3 hrs from this morning. They are napping peacefully in their diapers.
EDITED TO ADD:
So after their naps I decided I am just going to work with Ky for now. She was only in diapers for her nap and bedtime. The rest of the day she was nakey bottom or in her undies. She did manage to poop on the potty (not in the potty) But we'll count that! So the grand total for today: Floor 2, Undies 4, potty 2. Hopefully tomorrow the potty can get a higher score!
I just need to keep repeating this quote:
“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” Dale Carnegi

No comments: