Thursday, October 9, 2008

So what exactly do we do to get her to go?



So several people have been asking what the process is that I have been using, so here it is:
The first day I started off just having her nakey bottom. I would keep track of how often she would pee. Then show her the potty and tell her that's where pee goes.
I then put underwear on her with a baby washcloth as a pad inside the underwear. For Kayley, she pees every 60-70 minutes. So I take her around that time. To start her I used warm water and would pour it on her private parts. She wasn't comfortable with that. So I decided to just try letting her play with warm water. I got a tupperwear container and put warm water in it on the floor. Then I would put her foot in, and instantly she would pee. I then rewarded her with an M&M, at first it was every time, but now she get's an M&M every other time.
I also let her play with toys in the warm water, so it keeps her entertained. Today I was able to just run the water in the bathroom and she would start peeing. For her, the reward for peeing is now getting to actually play in the water. She gets mad because she wants to play in the water, but she's already peed. So I just let her play for a minute or so.
Then I take the little potty and put the pee in the big potty. She doesn't like the big potty at all, even with a sizer in there to make the seat smaller. But she loves saying bye bye to the pee as it flushes down the potty. She waves to it and everything, it's hilarious.
Tomorrow I am going to try and put the water container that is usually on the floor, on top of the step to the potty. That way it's as though she is on the little one.
As far as timing her. Some people use a timer, and that's great. I am afraid of that. Not sure if you know of Pavlov and his experiments. He is the one with the dog and saliva at the sound of a bell. Anyway, I am afraid that if I use a timer, then she'll associate that with peeing, and start peeing at the sound of a timer wherever she is. So I just log down everytime she pees and poops. Then use that log to get an idea of when the next pee will be at. I keep a tally of how many accidents she has, and how many times she used the potty correctly. It's very encouraging to see the numbers add up in the right direction.
Believe me, this isn't easy. I am the worlds most impatient person. I want things done immediately. So this has been very hard in that area. I am also a control freak, so I am working VERY hard to not yell and get mad when she does have an accident. So far I think I am doing ok. It also helps that when DH comes home from work, he takes over for the evening. I think that helps her to know she doesn't just have to use the potty for me.
Sorry if I rambled. I hope I gave you some ideas to work with. Give yourself a goal. TJ made me :P She said give it 1 week. If I didn't see improvement, then I could stop and go back to it at a later date. Well, I have seen a ton of improvement, so I really can't stop at this point.

3 comments:

mommy-medic said...

That is so exciting! Sydney will sit on the potty and wait for a treat, but she hasn't "done" anythign in it in a long long time, then she has an accident as soon as she gets up! Trying again later.

Figgy and The Professor said...

You give me such hope! I tried taking Ellie's diaper off the other day and she looked at me like she was full of shame before putting her hand on her private and piddling down her legs. She will not sit on the potty.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.